Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SW] The Moldy Crow

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[SW] The Moldy Crow

Postby suboken » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:02 pm

00-Moldy_Crow by The Suboken LEGO Projects, on Flickr

This MOC is based on the The Moldy Crow starship featured in the Star Wars video games, Dark Forces and Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight.
02-Moldy_Crow by The Suboken LEGO Projects, on Flickr

Built October and November 2010, Updated March 2013

This was the first MOC that I tried to tackle. My LEGO building passion started with my building classic Star Wars star-fighters sets. Once I had a decent representation of both Imperial and Rebel fighters, I realized that I needed some "rogue" ships to balance out the collection (the only one I had at the time was Slave 1). I loved the look of the Moldy Crow back when I played the Dark Forces games. After seeing how other LEGO builders had interpreted the model, I figured it was worth a shot.

My main focus was to build a version of the ship that would fit in with the rest of my official LEGO collection. I tried to keep it clean and economic while capturing the profile of the original design. Needless to say, compromises were made. Since the first build back in 2010, LEGO has manufactured pieces that better fit to color profile and shape of certain bricks used in my MOC’s design. I’ve posted an image of the original to show the differences between the two versions.

The final compromise that I decided to fix was the issue with the cockpit windows. The official Moldy Crow has a unique window design, one that is hard to replicate with LEGO. So I asked myself, what would LEGO do if releasing an official set. Molding my own cockpit window seemed extreme, and would take me too far away from keeping this build legit. However, LEGO does use stickers to help push details, especially with their Star Wars licensed sets. So, as dirty as it felt to first apply those custom stickers, over time, I’ve gotten used to their placement and no longer feel guilty for using them. In the end, what counts for me is that it's playable and looks right at home next to the out-of-box sets I have on the shelf.

10_Moldy_Crow by The Suboken LEGO Projects, on Flickr

PS - Sorry for the confussion; these are not LDD images. They are photos of the real MOC; I 'shopped the backgyard out of them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26529529@N ... 934346555/
suboken

Re: [SW] The Moldy Crow

Postby Spencer Solo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:19 pm

I LOVE IT. I'm not familiar with the original ship, but this looks awesome.
" Try? Ha! Do or do not. There is no try."- Yoda
Spencer Solo

Postby suboken » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:51 pm

Thank you! I have fond memories of the video game, but I can't remember why. Only two things stand out. The Moldy Crow's design, and the in game music using samples from the ESB:OST that weren't available on the double vinyl (yeah, it was that long ago).
suboken

Postby Ris Liam » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:25 pm

A great ship from my favorite game series! The only series to be a true first person shooter with the lightsaber (I always played in first person, including Outcast.) Anyway, this is a great MOC and I love the details. Wasn't the Crow more brown than orange? Still, this is cool. Don't feel bad about the stickers. I would much rather have printed bricks than stickers, but your application makes sense and looks good. I use Lego's stickers as needed for my MOCs (see my post-ROTJ Awing I posted recently.)
Ris Liam

Postby suboken » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:51 pm

I took the pictures in direct sunlight, so the MOC's brick colors look brighter than what they actually are. Dark orange and dark red bricks are the primary colors being used. I have a second version that's in the process of being built. I'm using dark tan bricks instead of the dark orange. Perhaps I'm being sentimental about this first build, but the dark tan version doesn't feel as unique and exciting as the dark orange. I'll post updated comparison images when it's done.
suboken

Postby Ris Liam » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:46 pm

Looking forward to seeing the difference; yes, the orange does make it look unique and a Google search revealed a dark orange colored version done up as a cross section by an unofficial source. The surprising thing is that they named it the Moldy Crow and didn't make it black. His second ship, the Raven's Claw, was done in mostly black however.
Ris Liam

Postby Daiman » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:18 pm

This is brilliant!

I toyed around with the idea of making this classic ship but got no where near this result.
very accurate and the window solution is the right one in my opinion.
I'm off to play outcast...
Daiman

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase