Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SW] Micro Snowspeeder

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[SW] Micro Snowspeeder

Postby sparkart » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:06 am

Hang on, Dack. by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

Here's a High-Definition Special Edition replacement for the Snowspeeders in LEGO set 3866 "The Battle of Hoth" game. These models retain the functionality of removing the crew one-by-one as the unit takes hits. The bottom of the microfig doesn't connect to anything, it's merely held in place by the geometry of the pieces.

There's about 100 pieces in these models. I can't help but think the LEGO designers come up with models more like these, but by the time it goes through all the peer reviews, and simplification for kids and low piece count targets, it ends up looking very different.
sparkart

Re: [SW] Micro Snowspeeder

Postby bartosza6m » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:32 am

I'm not sure if this solution with microfig's head is good, it doesn't work for me,
because all work looks very solid and it's really nice. I think the whole roof could be opened.

And did you try to find some orange sticker on the front of the speeder?
This may add even more realistic look.
bartosza6m

Postby sparkart » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:21 am

The goal for me was to remake the game-piece. In the game, the crew is used to keep track of the hit-points, so when a crew member is removed, it's helpful that the game piece shows that.

If you don't make concessions for a microfig, you could make the cockpit solid with fewer pieces. With the construction shown here, the minifig studs get in the way of the tubes under the larger tile pieces. The middle section of the cockpit canopy is a fraction of a millimeter higher than surrounding structure, so it's not a perfect fit to make a one-piece rooftop, either. If you removed the concessions for microfig pilots, you could easily clean up the cockpit - make it solid bricks - and make the top two pieces (e.g. two 1x6 tiles), instead of five.

I didn't try to find an orange sticker. I guess a B-Wing roundel sticker could be cut for the right shape.
sparkart

Postby bartosza6m » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:32 am

Oh, I didn't look at it as a board-game-speeder. I don't even know how to play...
But I see potential in this creation. Only rear gun is weak here.

And don't cut your stickers! Try to get this maybe:
http://www.brickfactory.info/scans/03000/3543/033.jpg

I'd love to see it in micro-fig diorama.
bartosza6m

Postby Rook » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:27 am

Nice, digging the sloping around the guns on the wings. Well done.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase