Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Podracer] Gaff riding his Spinner Pod

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[Podracer] Gaff riding his Spinner Pod

Postby Larry Lars » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:38 am

My take on this whole Podracer concept is a sci-fi-movie-crossover. Here is the Spinner Pod.

More pics will soon be added to my flickr.

Comments?
Larry Lars

Re: [Podracer] Gaff riding his Spinner Pod

Postby Artizan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:59 am

the engines are great, very nice techniques used there. i am not sure about the pod.
Artizan

Postby LL918 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:23 am

Blade Runner is a great idea - but the pilot should be Deckard, that way you could create another Harrison Ford character minifig. (Other entries already have Han Solo and Indiana Jones.)

From what I can see of the spinner cockpit I like it, and the engine pods are nice (are they based on anything Blade Runner specific?) but I would like to see a few more pics in your flickr set so we could see some of the detail!
LL918

Postby SkwerlJones » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:26 am

You did it again, Larry! This pod is made up of all sorts of awesome. First, we have Blade Runner. Great movie, you automatically win 10 points. Next, is execution. 5 points for each incredibly intricate pod and another 10 for the cockpit alone. Putting the spinner in place for the cockpit is an ingenius idea that you handled extremely well. I find myself all too often having to choose between overall creativeness in a pod or how detailed and put together it is. Yours is a great mix between creative idea and detail.

By the way, needz moar pikturs.......and unicorn.
They're all wasted!
SkwerlJones

Postby roguebantha » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:04 am

Those engines are great, nice recessed detailing. The connectors are well exectuted, and the pod is spot on. I want more pictures!
roguebantha

Postby Joedward » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:41 pm

You know, I could have sworn I posted in this thread. In fact, I know I did. Yet my post is gone :S hmmmm.

LL918 wrote:Blade Runner is a great idea - but the pilot should be Deckard, that way you could create another Harrison Ford character minifig. (Other entries already have Han Solo and Indiana Jones.)

Now someone just needs to make an Air Force One Pod and have President Marshall piloting it.

Larry, this is awesome. Fantastically done. It has some great details, best of all how you managed to get the shape of pod bang on. And the SNOT and the greebs impress me loads, like the treads and the gear and turn tabley bit.
Very cool model, best of luck for the contest.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Larry Lars » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:16 pm

Thanks for the comments and compliments guys. Much appreciated. I've uploaded these two pics with detailed views of the Spinner Pod.

Last edited by Larry Lars on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Lars

Postby Larry Lars » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:37 am

LL918 wrote:Blade Runner is a great idea - but the pilot should be Deckard, that way you could create another Harrison Ford character minifig.

For some reason I never once questioned my instinct to put Gaff in the driver seat. I guess, for me Harrson Ford just isn't a podracer kind of a guy. ;-)

LL918 wrote:... and the engine pods are nice (are they based on anything Blade Runner specific?)

They're not based on something right from the movie. It was difficult to decide how to make them and I ended up gathering a lot of reference pictures from Blade Runner and other similar type of sci-fi designs. Parts of it comes from the spinner itself sort of, but the main source of inspiration is in fact from another iconic sci-fi property. Cameron's Aliens and the awsome pulse rifle which is a personal favorite of mine.
ALIENS M41-A pulse rifle reference pic

..and I think that the little crossover within the crossover works actually. Any comments most welcome.
Larry Lars

Postby Larry Lars » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:26 pm

New pic with a few details prevously unseen. Engine and pod shot from underneath. Headshot of the pilot "Gaff".

Check out my Flickr
Larry Lars

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase