Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[WIP] Space Skulls alt model pod - feedback?

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[WIP] Space Skulls alt model pod - feedback?

Postby lowlylowlycook » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:59 pm

So, having bought two of the "skulls in space" sets that were on sale on lego.com I decided I might try to make a pod racer for this contest using just those parts.

This is what I have so far. Only 1 pod so I don't get into the situation of using more parts than I have available.

The general idea was to use the parts that make up the tentacles in the skull set as hoses that would pipe fuel around to different bits of the pod. Sadly the fact that the hoses are pretty much confined to a plane makes this work in a less than ideal manner. Of course keeping to just the one set (x2) really limits the color/shape of bricks available as well.

Things that occur to me that might work better would be:
To avoid using black in the main body of of the pod so the "hoses" stand out more, maybe cut down on the number of hoses keeping only to cooler bits and perhaps making the whole thing smaller. Also to take better pictures :lol:

Anyway before I take this apart to try again, I'd appreciate any advice or feedback.
lowlylowlycook

Re: [WIP] Space Skulls alt model pod - feedback?

Postby Galagoo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:05 pm

Hmm, nice. The tentacles look quite impressive, and the engine design looks also pretty good so far, too. White is a good choice for colour, giving a neat contrast to the black tentacles, but are there any good pieces to make some highlights in some other colour?

I wouldn't be so sure about removing a number of tentacles, though. It might give the pod a cleaner look, but the current, a kind of an entropy-look is very cool, too. I would, however, do away with the dark grey sylindery thingies in the front; they're sticking out somewhat awkwardly.

Overall, it's really looking neat so far. The main idea itself is cool, too; making an alternative model as contest entry wouldn't be the first thing to pop into my head. ;)
Galagoo

Postby lowlylowlycook » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:49 pm

Well, I just finished the second, improved pod. The overall design is the same but some rough edges were taken care of and I was able to add some red highlights as you suggested while making the body more purely white.

Now all I have to do is recreate the first pod to match and then make the cockpit in time for the contest :x

As for the increased difficulty of doing a mod, well maybe I wouldn't if I thought I had any chance of beating some the ones already shown off if I relaxed that constraint. As it was it was more a case of "what am I going to do with all these pieces?" and using the contest to provide a bit of motivation.

[edit]
OK, here are the two pods:
lowlylowlycook

Postby lowlylowlycook » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:48 pm

OK, this is officially finished. It went pretty well, I think though like I said I doubt it will stand up to the competition:

Here is a closeup of a pod showing off some of the "ducting"

This and this are some shots from different angles.
lowlylowlycook

Postby The Jedinator » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:12 pm

It looks pretty darn good to me. I haven't a clue who to vote for yet so now promises.

I like the way you used the pieces on the engines it kinda reminds me of a extremely bad hair day.
The Jedinator

Postby Galagoo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:57 pm

It's looking cool. The grey sylinders I mentioned earlier look way better, too, as you turned them.
Galagoo

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase