Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Lighting up

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

Lighting up

Postby Andi » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:50 am

I think I never posted a thread about giving my X-Wing some backlights.
So let me do it now together with another LED project I was working on in the last two days.

First the X-Wing:
First I needed a hole directly in the middle of the big white bricks. Because we don't have such a small driller I did it with hammer and nail. Worked pretty well.

The wires from the leds were a bit short, so I decided to use two batteries. The one connection I hided in the "Lightsaber closet", the other one above the wing mechanism.

The end result:

The second thing is: I wanted to include some light into a Minifig Display Case. First I thought I make an extra one for my two chrome figs (Vader and C3PO), but after some unsuccessful browsing of Ebay (darn, that Cricket and Baseball isn't popular in Germany) I decided to include the two into the big display case from my Master Replica scale Han Solo Blaster which is already used from some Star Wars Figs.
Then I thought about how to include the lights. First I wanted to add 12 LEDs into a 6x6 plate. But that was soo much wires that I removed 6. But the remaining 6 plus battery plus switch still needed too much space to include them into the case.
So finally I had the idea to put the plate outside on the top of the case. An extra plus with this way is that I don't need to drill a hole into the case, for having outer access to the switch.
It looked awesome, so I decided to use the other 6 LEDs too, but in an extra plate which I placed on the other side of the top.
The end result:

You can see more photos here
Last edited by Andi on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Re: Lightning up

Postby Galagoo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:22 pm

Now, someone's gotten excited by LEDs.. ;)

The result does look good, too. The cables overall look somewhat messy, but it's a small issue compared to the sight of the lights. I can only imagine how cool they look in real life.

Oh, by the way, "lightning up"? ;)
Galagoo

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase