Earn Double the VIP Points on everly shop.LEGO.com purchase!  Valid April 1-15, 2014.

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Sci-Fi] "Raijin" Class Mk.II Light Interceptor, ADU Livery

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[Sci-Fi] "Raijin" Class Mk.II Light Interceptor, ADU Livery

Postby vynsane » Tue May 01, 2012 7:19 am

"Raijin" Class Mk.II Light Interceptor, ADU markings - Main view by vynsane, on Flickr

First brick-built version of one of my Modular Starfighter LDD concepts.

While the speed and small profile of the "Raijin" Class Light Interceptor was above anything Tanuki Corp. had developed previously, the need for greater firepower options prompted a revision of the Light Interceptor configuration. Utilizing the same fuselage frame as the Mk.I while taking certain design cues from the "Mamushi" Class, the "Raijin" Mk.II paired a new set of wing/stabilizer modules featuring multiple weapon system hardpoints and a set of new enhanced nose-mounted blaster cannons.

In addition to the centrally-located enhanced blaster cannons, the depicted configuration is kitted out with four heavy energy cannons, two per side, connected via a forward-facing hardpoint mount.

There are some parts that were reworked in comparison to the all-digital version I previously posted. The engine module is pretty extensively reworked and the wings are a little different.

LDD File
- "Raijin" Class Mk.II Light Interceptor, ADU markings

Additional Shots

"Raijin" Class Mk.II Light Interceptor, ADU markings - Side view by vynsane, on Flickr

"Raijin" Class Mk.II Light Interceptor, ADU markings - Top view by vynsane, on Flickr

"Raijin" Class Mk.II Light Interceptor, ADU markings - Play features! by vynsane, on Flickr

"Raijin" Class Mk.II Light Interceptor, ADU markings - Module breakdown by vynsane, on Flickr
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Re: [Sci-Fi] "Raijin" Class Mk.II Light Interceptor, ADU Liv

Postby scotth510 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:54 am

I really like this ship. The color scheme is great and I like how it is almost modular. You could do quite a bit with it. Great job.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotth510/
http://www.youtube.com/user/scotth510
scotth510

Postby vynsane » Tue May 01, 2012 9:39 am

Thanks! Though I'm not sure what you mean by 'almost modular' - if you take a look at the other LDD concepts you'll see that the modules are highly interchangeable. Some wing/engine combos don't work because of clearance issues, but there are quite a few configurations that utilize the same modules in different ways.

vynsane

Postby scotth510 » Mon May 14, 2012 11:15 am

I wasn't sure if it was meant to be modular, but that is a great idea. I never saw the LDD concept before I saw the thread.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotth510/
http://www.youtube.com/user/scotth510
scotth510

Postby Solo » Tue May 15, 2012 9:44 am

Really dig the glowing engine. Glad to see you turn the modular starfighter idea into some actual builds. It came out really cool. Can't wait to see more of them.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby sparkart » Thu May 17, 2012 6:49 am

Slick! First impression to me is of a sleek racer, but brisling with weapons, it's unmistakenly a high speed interceptor. The light up engine is too cool.
sparkart

Postby vynsane » Thu May 24, 2012 10:42 am

Thanks, all! Hopefully I will be able to build more of the designs I've developed.

The fuselage on this one is strong, but the wing modules are a bit floppy. There's a bit of up-and-down play, so that's a problem area that has to be addressed in future revisions. Using two technic axles passed through the center helped a little compared to the four technic axle/pins originally used in the design, but only a little. I have a feeling using three or four 'hardpoints' per side (instead of the two I have now) would strengthen it up a bit.

vynsane

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase