Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Podracer] Batman's Pod

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[Podracer] Batman's Pod

Postby Mos_Eisley » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:31 pm

Crime and corruption take over Gotham City every Spring. The commissioner turns on the Bat-Signal, but to no avail. Where is the Caped Crusader? Unbeknownst to the residents of Gotham, every April, Bruce Wayne and Alfred pack up the Intergalactic Toy Hauler and head for the underground podracing circuit on Felucia, Endor, Kashyyyk and some of the other lesser-known forest moons. Podracing in the desert is nothing compared to zipping through the dense jungles of Mantooine! Currently the holder of 7 track records, Batman has won the Kashyyyk Klassyyyk 3 years running and has never finished off the top 5 points leaderboard in the Hutt Cup Series. When recently asked why he doesn't have any Batarangs or other flashy crap on his pod, he responded with a Christian Bale-growl, "That ain't me."

Flickr Gallery
Mos_Eisley

Re: [Podracer] Batman's Pod

Postby Galagoo » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:33 am

Pretty neat, but the bulky engine design looks like it could do with some greebling, especially at the front. Adding some more yellow highlights is also in idea worth pondering.

In addition, although the rear of the pod looks like an interesting design, it just looks unnecessarily bulky. Some sleeker design might fit better with the sturdy engines. More batwings, perhaps?
Galagoo

Postby Jedd the Jedi » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:12 am

It's an interesting idea, but it can be made more interesting still. Study the kind of technology that Batman uses in the new films-you'll find that while it isn't flashy, it's visually arresting. Play with exposed mechanical components or angular armour for the engines, because while the idea is good and the backstroy hilarious, there is certainly plenty more that can be done to improve the design.
Jedd the Jedi

Postby bigkid24 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:52 pm

I've taken to trying to imagine what people's pods look like based on just the thread title and when I saw the Batman title I sort of imagined a pod with wings on the engines and points on the cockpit portion so that it would look like the silhouette of a bat flapping its wings. So based on my imagination I was a little disappointed. The pod on its own is okay I think but I feel like the front of the engines need something to them so they don't just look like big tires. They need some greebling or something to give them more of the appearance of an engine. It's a decent start but a Batman themed pod should be more than just black.
bigkid24

Postby Mos_Eisley » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:59 am

Thanks for the comments! I definitely tried many of the things mentioned but was never really pleased with the results. Not that they aren't good ideas, I'm likely just not a good enough builder! I do agree that the back of the pod is a bit large, but to me, pods should have a bit more more protection for the driver. That is why it is on the larger side as it is acting like a roll bar of sorts protecting from not only crashing but also from other pods bumping into it! I wanted a mini tumbler-like design for the pod but wasn't happy with the results. I also tried a pod with the driver laying down a la the motorcycle that comes out of the tumbler but didn't think it would really work in an actual pod.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I'm just trying to give a feel for what I was thinking in my design. I went about this from a functional standpoint as if someone was actually going to build a podracer they would use to race. While I know everyone loves greebling, to me, it just doesn't belong on a podracer. Anything extra sticking off of the engines is just going to get knocked off. I built what I think would make for an aerodynamic, durable pod that could stand up to actual podracing conditions. My original design did have wings on the engines, but it didn't really make any sense to me as they would just get ripped off in the first half lap! I personally like the engines as I think they have an armored, strong look and feel to them.

I think there are three ways to go about this competition - form, function or a mix of them both. I think most have gone the form route and there is nothing wrong with that. I think the Red Fleet Racer is a good example of both form and function. I think the best pod so far is the iPod Racer, but let's be honest, it's not going to win an actual podrace!
Mos_Eisley

Postby Blackninjatom » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:57 am

I hear yah on the form, function, or both. I did read on the building tips thread that is should be functional, and yours has a very realistic approach.
Blackninjatom

Postby onions » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:55 am

Mos_Eisley wrote:I think the best pod so far is the iPod Racer, but let's be honest, it's not going to win an actual podrace!

you're absolutely right; lord knows how many times apple's tried to make a functional ipod racer :lol:
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Mos_Eisley » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:22 pm

Based on your comment, I'd say you are missing my point. Since the point of the contest was to build a functional podracer, I'm not viewing the iPod Racer as a Mac Mini attached to a couple of iPods sitting on a desk. Obviously, I don't expect that an iPod is going to move anywhere. I'm considering its actual functionality if someone created a pod racer that mimicked the form it is based on. That being said, unless it was using a technology unavailable to other racers, a large near-cube pod being pulled by two thin engines not even half its size is not going to be able to compete with small pods driven by engines 2-5 times larger than the pod itself.

Again, in my opinion, based on creativity and design, the iPod Racer is still the best pod so far in the contest.
Mos_Eisley

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase