Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Podracer] Dino-Pod

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[Podracer] Dino-Pod

Postby bigospedros » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:55 pm

NOW UPDATED - See pics of V2 below ...

Created for the FBTB 2009 Podracer Challenge ... this "Dino-Pod" racer is the meanest pod racer out there, chewing up the track at an awesome speed (not to mention chewing a few opponents should they get in the way ;) ).

Further images can be see on my own Flickr page ... comments welcome (but try to be nice, this is my stab at a MOC on here!)

:cool:
Last edited by bigospedros on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Re: [Podracer] Dino-Pod

Postby Flynn » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:39 pm

I love the pods, very creative idea. The cockpit, though, could use a little work. Maybe if it was lengthened a bit, it'd work a little better, but other than that, it looks really nice. Great job!
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:27 am

That tail on the cockpit is really neat! I can just picture it swishing from side to side as the podracer speeds along.
A shame that it doesn't really show on the "main pic" (ie. the one you posted here).
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Galagoo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:25 pm

You could also try to improve the rears of the engines, adding more greebles and other structure. The superb dino heads really make them look rather plain.. ;)

I'd also recommend taking a new overall image from another angle in order to show the tail better. It's indeed too cool to be inproperly visible.
Galagoo

Postby bigospedros » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:42 pm

I assume those that are saying you can't see the tail properly aren't clicking on the link to Flickr ? There are plenty of pics of the tail there :)
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby bigospedros » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:47 pm

*Update*

Based on the feedback and my own personal unhappiness with the back of the engines and also some other bits I wasn't quite happy with, I've made Version 2 this evening. I will take pictures tomorrow. I assume I can update my entry into the comp ?
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby bigospedros » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:06 am

Sorry for 3 posts in a row ... but please find below pictures of the new and improved second version of my Podracer :

Further pictures here

I made a change to the front of the engines, because what I really wanted was the mouth to be open and more menacing ... I think I achieved that quite well :

I also really needed to do an update to the back on the engines. I must admit, in the first iteration, they were a bit rushed and I wasn't happy with them. So, here's the new version ... again, I think an improvement :

And as a few of you comments, here's a deeplinked photo of the tail ... it's entirely moveable, so can swipe a few opposition Pods out of the way in the race! :D

I'm done tinkering now ... :cool:
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Galagoo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:18 pm

It's looking way better, very nice improvements. The new mouths for the dinos are really cool - the red, blocky inside giving an odd yet wicked impression - and the new engine back suit the thing fairly well.
The engine tips look interesting, too, although some more traditional structure built with various round bricks might work even better.

As for the tail issue, I meant that when you take the "official" picture (the final one you're going to post in the contest thread and on which the judging is usually based), you might want it to have a clear shot of the neat tail. ;)
Galagoo

Postby bigospedros » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:38 pm

I'm glad you like the improvements :)

I'm not entirely sure I can angle a picture to get the necessary features of the engines *and* the tail in one photo. I'll just have to hope people vote based on viewing the whole gallery rather than the 1 picture I posted in the Comp thread.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Galagoo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:52 pm

Hmm, good point.

Anyways, another idea popped up in my head. The ends of the cables, the spots where some flames are currently sprouting out of.. How would it look if you replaced the flames with chains and attached them on the rear of the pod, close to the other chains. How well would that work?
Galagoo

Postby bigospedros » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:01 pm

hmmm ... not sure ... too late now anyway ... it's been mostly dismantled ;)
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase