Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SW] 2x Minifig Scale Astromech Droid

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[SW] 2x Minifig Scale Astromech Droid

Postby sparkart » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:55 am

I thought it would be more fun to build LEGO set 10125, Obi Wan's Starfighter, into the "B" version of the Delta-7 Aethersprite, which uses a full-bodied astromech for a co-pilot.

The body and legs of the droid were pieced together around the kit's astromech dome, a printed 4x4 hemisphere. Just make more headpieces, and you have astromech variants, like an R5.

How cool would it be to build astromechs in all the colors of the current LEGO palette? Alas, the printed 4x4 hemisphere is only produced in dark red; and other pieces, like the feet, are only available in a limited number of colors.

Here's the part list to make an R2 astromech with the printed 4x4 hemisphere:
(first number in parentheses is the quantity),
second numbers is the Bricklink part numbers, &
"description is in quotes".

Legs:
(4) 92946 "Slope 45 2 x 1 with 2/3 Cutout"
(2) 48336 "Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Handle on Side - Type 2 (closed ends)"
(2) 3794 "Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with 1 Stud (Jumper)"
(6) 2555 "Tile, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip"
(2) 60478 "Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Handle on End - (closed ends)"
(2) 3623 "Plate 1 x 3"
(2) 3023 "Plate 1 x 2"
(4) 3024 "Plate 1 x 1"
(4) 3069b "Tile 1 x 2 with Groove"
(2) 6541 "Technic, Brick 1 x 1 with Hole"
(2) 2780 "Technic, Pin with Friction Ridges Lengthwise WITH Center Slots"

Body:
(1) 47905 "Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Studs on 2 Sides"
(1) 52107 "Brick, Modified 1 x 2 with Studs on 2 Sides"
(2) 3024 "Plate 1 x 1"
(6) 54200 "Slope 30 1 x 1 x 2/3"
(2) 60474 "Plate, Round 4 x 4 with Pin Hole" (one attaches to the dome, one attaches to the bottom of the body)
(2) 87081 "Brick, Round 4 x 4"
(1) 6222 "Brick, Round 4 x 4 with Holes"

The creation was submitted to LEGO Cuusoo, so that we can push to get all these parts produced in more colors, especially the R2 dome, i.e. blue & black printing on a gray piece to make R2-D2. If you'd like to support the project, please visit this page.

Thanks for the support and I hope to see astromechs in all sorts of colors, variations, roles, etc.

sparkart

Re: [SW] 2x Minifig Scale Astromech Droid

Postby buriedbybricks » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:10 am

Saw these on Flickr last night Sparky and I LOVE them! I wish you luck, but I also wish there was a way to round off the tops of those legs :(
buriedbybricks

Postby sparkart » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:45 am

Thanks for the comments, Triple-B. Yes, the blockiness of the legs looks...blocky. To be honest, my knowledge of LEGO pieces is not vast. I use regularly use LEGO Digital Designer software to find about about pieces and elements that aren't in my collection. I still haven't found a combination of pieces to round off the top of the legs (maybe some technic elements?) but I'll gladly take any suggestions.
sparkart

Postby SuperDave » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:42 am

I'm working on the same project and I thought about using the 2x3 plate with rounded end and hole for the top of the legs.
SuperDave

Postby sparkart » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:52 am

Triple-B, SuperDave, et al,

Lost the flexibility at the ankle :( ...

Arms looked a bit too beefy to my eyes, so I elongated the model. Ever notice that Astromechs photograph phunny? When I see full-size droid recreations in person, I'm always struck by how much larger in proportion the dome looks in real life, than in photographs and reel [sic] life. I think the four brick high body on the left exhibits more accurate body proportions, but the skinnier, longer torso version has better looking legs.

I think the left side's stacked plates version of the legs holds together better. The rounded top legs look very cool, but my recipe for them seems tenuous with all that single-stud construction. Hopefully, someone else can come up with something better. The 1x1 brick at the ankles is a technic brick with a hole through the middle.
sparkart

Postby SuperDave » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:42 pm

It's not a build I've figured out yet- which is why it's still sitting in pieces on my build table. :-)
SuperDave

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase