Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SPACE] Amatsu-Kami

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[SPACE] Amatsu-Kami

Postby Memory » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:07 am

Brickshelf
flickr

Third place winner for the contest at SCI-LUG on flickr. :]

-Jacob

ps-Oh, and congrats on the new forums- everything looks shiny and promising.
Last edited by Memory on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That guitar belongs to Peter Frampton!"
"Peter Frampton is dead and so are all of his grandchildren!"
"Then it belongs in a museum!"
"DR. JONES SIT DOWN!"
Memory

Re: Amatsuu-Kami

Postby theJudeAbides » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:27 am

That is a fun little fighter you got there. It looks quite swooshable.

I really like the front guns, they're quite inspired, and I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like them before. It took me a while to figure out how you had attached them to ship. Very nice.

My only problems with this is that it seems a bit blocky and uses too many stickers. Granted, this is LEGO, and certain degree of blockiness is to be expect, and is sometimes even nice, but I just feel that the fuselage could use a few more curves. Also, while I think a few stickers can add some nice finishing details to a MOC, it just feels like you may have gone a bit overboard. The amount of stickers used reminds me of the Exoforce sets, and not in a good way.

These are just my opinions, and I don't mean any offense, but I'm trying to stay true to the new policy of constructive criticism around here. Thanks for posting this.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Groovybones » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:29 am

ooooooh, it looks so purdy!

i like the cannons and the use of stickers the best good use of those tread pieces!
Groovybones

Postby Jake » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:44 am

Very cool, it goes well with your other MOCs too. The guns are good, and the fact that they have 360 degree rotation is cool too. However, to echo what Jude said, the engine pods and even the main body seem to blocky. I don't know if you could shave a few plate's worth of height off the ship, but I think it looks perfectly fine as-is. And I like the stickers too.
Jake

Postby Firespray » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:30 am

Whoa I never knew you could use those ball joint pieces like that :shock: I like it, sleek little fighter, the main body might be a bit too blocky though. Totally digging the guns, love those :D
Last edited by Firespray on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firespray

Re: [SPACE] Amatsuu-Kami

Postby Memory » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:40 pm

Thanks, everyone.

In my defense, the fighter had to be no more than fourteen studs square and five bricks tall. But, the shape is something I'll keep an eye out for on the next build. As for the stickers, it was the effect I was going for. To each his own, I guess. ;]

The ball joint is an idea from Moko, but I've used it so many times, you'd think I invented it.
"DR. JONES SIT DOWN!"
Memory

Re: [SPACE] Amatsu-Kami

Postby Joedward » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:26 am

I like the bulkiness of it, it adds to it's completely unorthdaox and completely awesome profile.
The usage of stockers works really here, the connection of the engine pods is just incredible, and I'm amazed they stay on. The treads around the cannons is pretty sweet too, and the fact that it can fit into that small space it so cool, I know that was the point, but still.

Congrats on thrid place, now make it in blue... XD
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Memory » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:35 pm

Thanks! The engine pods were actually too heavy for the joints, but they had just enough friction to stay in some tenuous positions. Why blue?
"DR. JONES SIT DOWN!"
Memory

Postby Joedward » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:40 am

Why not...blue is a cool colour. I'd rally like to see a whole fleet of these things, coloured like the rainbow....but that's just me :p
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase