Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Pod Racer] iPod Racer

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[Pod Racer] iPod Racer

Postby Pepa Quin » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

iPod Racer
Powered by Mac Mini
by Pepa Quin

Obviously, this is my submission for the Pod Racer contest. :) The idea seemed a fairly obvious one to me, but to my surprise I couldn't find anything like it on-line.
Instead of using the iPod itself as the cockpit and using the earphones as pods, I decided to mesh the simiar names (iPods are the pods. Get it? Get it?! ;) ) and go for a much more abstract look. Obviously, nothing here is in 'scale' with their real-world counter parts.
I chose to use a Mac Mini for the cockpit because of it's simplicity, and the sleek design matched that of the iPods.
The minifigure, or shadow dancer, stands atop the Mac Mini like a surfboard. The craft is partially controlled like a Segway or iPhone/iPod Touch, and additional controls (like engine speed) are found in his own personal earphone wires much like the new iPod Shuffle.

For those intrested, it's easy to make your own shadow dancer in this way - all you need is all-black minifig parts and a small white rubber band found in quite a lot of sets these days. Stretch the band around the stud on the minifig head and press the hairpiece down firmly. It might take a couple of tries, but the rubber band should remain intact (at least mine did).

Image Image Image
"Stupid is a condition. Ignorance is a choice." - Wiley Miller
Flickr | Bricklink
Pepa Quin

Re: [Pod Racer] iPod Racer

Postby Solo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:39 pm

Pure class Matt. And great photograpy to set it off. I likes.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby legorevolution » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:41 pm

This is super creative, funny, and brilliant. I think you might have just won my vote. Great Ipod designs, and the headphones are magnificent. Love the little ipod guy too! :lol:
Victory? Victory, you say? Master Obi-Wan, not victory. The shroud of the dark side has fallen. Begun, The Clone War has.
legorevolution

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:01 pm

This rocks beyond belief. Great.
Jake

Postby Artizan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:10 pm

Pepa, you always ruin the contests by becoming the ultimate winner before even the voting starts >8( >:)
Artizan

Postby BigBenKenobi » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:28 pm

Well, I'm basically saying the same thing I said in the other thread...the actual contest one. You win my vote because you mixed two of my favorite things together...lego and music.
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby pur3 0wn1ng9 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:39 pm

This takes 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I might as well not even enter the contest now. :roll: >8(
pur3 0wn1ng9

Postby OOM-9 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:57 pm

BRILLIANT! :D Very creative podracer Pepa.
OOM-9

Postby Jedd the Jedi » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:31 pm

I found it very hard to believe those were all Lego parts, but on further inspection it's true. The construction and building solutions you've used are simply ingenious, and the idea of an iPod podracer is amusing yet inspired. The Falconer reigns! Solid, solid work.
Jedd the Jedi

Postby SkwerlJones » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:18 pm

The design is only outdone by the creativness of the idea.

As a joke, you could make decals to put over the iPod screens of your favorite songs playing. That would turn the coolness factor up to eleven.
They're all wasted!
SkwerlJones

Postby JPCJedi » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:19 pm

Yes! *pounds floor*

True greatness makes one think, "Why didn't I think of that?"
Bricklink|Flickr
When the Lord spits in your face, he’s trying to cure you of something.--John 9:1-41
JPCJedi

Postby Cali » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:52 pm

Well, Matt wins...

Very well played, although the (i)pods seem a little odd to me. Maybe it's just the grey bit under it that throws me off.
Cali

Postby Blackninjatom » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:35 pm

The headphone wires as cables was a great idea. The snot work is superb, and the idea terrific, and the entire thing is so cool I'm running out of adjectives, so I'll just say it's awesome!
Blackninjatom

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase