Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Podracer] Spartan Slipstream (WIP)

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[Podracer] Spartan Slipstream (WIP)

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:10 pm

It seems I'm fairly hopeless at getting from an initial idea to a decent model, but I'm having a go anyway. ;)
(My photographic skills with a 9 year old Ixus 300 are also extremely limited.)

My entry for the challenge will (eventually) be the Spartan Slipstream.

It started out as the "minimalist podracer" which I posted in the Building Tips thread. The engines have now gone through several iterations, but always with a focus on keeping the PF motor as a main component (which rather limits the greebling possibilities, at least for somebody with my talent - or lack thereof).

The album on Flickr has more pictures, including the original minimalist version.

At one point I considered adding the 40 tooth gears off-centre from the main axle. It seemed like a neat idea at the time, but I've abandoned it for the moment. I do wonder what others think of it though - ok, or just plain stupid?

P.S. There are no hidden weapons. A podracer is dangerous enough as it is...

EDIT: W(h)IPed the subject
Last edited by Gingerbeard Man on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gingerbeard Man

Re: [Podracer] Spartan Slipstream

Postby Noppi » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:36 pm

Wow, good Job. This Pod-Racer looks very nice. Exspecialy the Engines. The last Picture is verry funny. I think it´s better you call a Doctor :lol: .
Noppi

Postby ajcross » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:18 pm

You've blown the 20-piece limit. :)

Unless there was other offsets, the 40t gear offset probably won't work. An idea is a bracing arm that offsets the entire engine. Think long bar that was the engine mount. That could hold the greebles so the motor part stands out more on its own.
ajcross

Postby Galagoo » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:46 pm

The engines do look good, put somewhat plain. Since the original structure leaves pretty little room for shaping and greebling, I'd say you might as well leave them pretty much as they are in terms of shape, and instead concentrate more on the cockpit pod.

I think you could try to find some really wild basic shape for the pod, something that would differ dramatically from the basic-looking engine design. A style combination like that might look impressive and pretty darn good.
Here are a few SW vessels that could serve as inspiration for the overall pod shape, in case you would like to follow my suggestion for some strange reason: clicky and clicky.
Galagoo

Re: [Podracer] Spartan Slipstream (WIP)

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:49 am

Galagoo wrote:I think you could try to find some really wild basic shape for the pod, something that would differ dramatically from the basic-looking engine design.

That's a great idea! I'll see what I can come up with.

The current cockpit shape came about simply because I had that piece lying around and could easily mount the bricks connecting to the cable.

Building a cockpit around those bricks is going to be fiddly, as there is no way of detaching the engines (and those XL motors are rather heavy). I think I will need to find a design where they can be attached outside the actual cockpit, or at least remain loose until the very end.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:44 am

I like your engines, they look really cool. As for your cockpit dilemma, how about something like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10606714@N05/3360583218/

Mounted on one side of the bracket, that gives you the oppertunity to greeble or detail it while keeping it fairly detatched from the main model.
Jake

Postby bigkid24 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:07 am

I like your engines. From that top view they do seem very plain but from the side it seems like there's some nice detail. Personally I think pods shouldn't have much greebling since they are built for speed. I think they should be slick and SNOTed like the way you have yours.
bigkid24

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:38 pm

@Jake: Thanks for that great idea on how to mount the PF cables.
Unfortunately I just haven't had the time for decent brick-built cockpit (or even for the BrickLink orders this would have required).

I have managed to modified the existing cockpit with some slopes and wedges. For some reason I just can't seem to do without those red and green navigation lights... :roll: the port and starboard engine pods had them from the very beginning.

The engines have also been slightly reworked. I replaced the 1x6 light grey plate with 1x2 dark grey and 1x4 light grey to follow the pattern on the PF motor piece. This requires the lightsabre blade to hold it all together. Unfortunately I only have one each of the open and closed clips in dark and light. I think it may look better with all closed clips, or at least the closed on one side and open on the other.

More pics on Flickr, with baseplate, clear stands and all. I do have Photoshop Elements, but obviously I am hopeless at image editing. :x
Gingerbeard Man

Postby lowlylowlycook » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:49 am

I really like the headrest of your cockpit. Very stylish.

Also, did you add a third, white light to model of Dooku's Solar Sailor? :lol:
lowlylowlycook

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:32 am

lowlylowlycook wrote:I really like the headrest of your cockpit. Very stylish.

Thanks! That was one of those rare inspirational moments. I had just bought 7737 "Coast Guard 4WD & Jet Ski" when I started thinking that those orange pieces from the Coast Guard sets would make some nice highlights. At first I fumbled around with the cut-out wedge piece from the jet ski, not quite knowing what to do with it. Then it just clicked into place and I immediately nicked the two curved slopes from 7726's Speedboat trailer to finish it off.

I've also cannibalized my UCS TIE Advanced and UCS Falcon to get those missing closed clips, so my entry is now complete. Just have to remember where those pieces go when I dismantle the podracer...
Gingerbeard Man

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase