Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

MOC Legacy Millennium Falcon . . . or is it? Hmmm.

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

MOC Legacy Millennium Falcon . . . or is it? Hmmm.

Postby etcknight » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:44 pm

(If I'm violating any posting rules - please let me know! Wasn't sure how many photos I could post. Not familiar enough to know how to resize too big images and embed links with the photos.)

A few months ago, I started this thread - Anyone mounted UCS MF on a motion TV mount?
http://www.fbtb.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6169

So, what happens when you take one of these (tv mount) + add one of these (UCS MF) + whole lot of time & a little engineering = what do you get?
(After looking around - I finally settled on this mount => http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ID7QNI)

You get this. XD

More photos & the mount => http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=485809

Now, you may also recall many moons ago, in a galaxy far far away, when Lego produced the 10179 UCS Millennium Falcon, Hasbro also saw fit to revisit and update their Millennium Falcon playset - which debuted in a larger size with added play features, lights, and improved sounds. By coincidence, both sets were similar in size. Thus, a crazy (and somewhat expensive) idea was hatched. ;)

WHAT IF, Lego and Hasbro had collaborated to produce THE ULTIMATE Lego MF? With lights and sounds and play features?! :shock:

So, what happens when you take one of these (Legacy MF) + add one of these (UCS MF 10179) + some creative MOC-ing = what do you get?

You get something like this. :O
More photos of the disassembly, construction, and mechanisms => http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=485810

Play features are nearly identical to the Hasbro Legacy Millennium Falcon and include:
1) Cockpit lights and sounds - with additional cockpit detail (rear hallway entrance - see the white tiles?)
2) Mandible lights
3) Engine lights and sounds
4) Working starboard Boarding Ramp with lights and sounds (sounds activate when ramp is released)
5) Authentic movie phrases
6) Lighted Dejarik table with Crew quarters for playability
7) Firing forward torpedo launchers with sound (sounds activate when missiles fired)(missiles fire by lifting the entire center upper portion & pushing backwards)
And
8) Updated gunners chairs - with space for 2 gunners (couldn't find all my pieces - so finished chairs will look a little more detailed)

Whenever possible, I did my best to come up with a Lego-based solution for the play features and electronics. I did have to cheat in a few places - mainly, drilling holes for front mandible lights and holes for the electronic buttons. But otherwise, everything you see is completely Lego based. A few times, the wire connectors broke. So, my build experience included learning the art of soldering. My results weren't very pretty, but luckily all the electronics worked in the end.

NOTE: Three (3) sound buttons are still unused - escape pod release, escape pod hatch, and gunner chair sound #2. (gunner chair sound #1 is on the starboard rear panel.) I haven't figured out exactly what to do about these - so those are still pending.

If I can figure out how to record and post video - I'll post later.

**P.S. If anyone has ideas about how to finish off the crew quarters area and build a curved sofa, etc - I'd appreciate the input. Finally ran out of creative ideas for now - so AFOL community help would be very welcomed.**
Last edited by etcknight on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
etcknight

Re: MOC Legacy Millennium Falcon . . . or is it? Hmmm.

Postby Daiman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:47 am

An excellent and expensive MOC...well worth the invesment.
I hope all your visitors envy this.
Daiman

Postby Solo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:18 am

That's awesome man. Also, you're free to post as many images of any size you want now, the forum will automatically shrink them to fit if need be. So you can edit out the spoiler tagged bits to make viewing easier.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby brickster90 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:27 pm

My entire tiny Lego collection bows in reverence to this work of awesomeness! Seriously, the wall-mounted idea is brilliant... I love it at that angle that makes it look as if it's soaring around the room.
brickster90

Postby Gooker1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:51 pm

That's just brilliant work! I would love to see video on all the working functions! Hopefully you can load something on youtube down the road. :)
Gooker1

Postby star wars envy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:12 pm

very very cool
star wars envy

Postby CloneEmperor » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:53 pm

I have to say, I wish I had that set, and that would be the perfect way to display it. Congrats on a great idea!
CloneEmperor

Postby Andi » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:50 am

that is GREAT! Awesome. Cool!
Amazing

But how exactly did you connect the mount with the Falcon?
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby dustinmroberts » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:29 am

Any chance you could give us a step by step on how you attached the mount to the falcon? I'd love to do something like this!
dustinmroberts

Postby GrayMattR » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:40 pm

You've been creating things above and beyond the best MOCs for years and this just boosts your credibility by a ton. I've spent 20 minutes looking at your pictures and want more. Brilliant.
GrayMattR

Postby etcknight » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:51 pm

dustinmroberts wrote:Any chance you could give us a step by step on how you attached the mount to the falcon? I'd love to do something like this!

Posted video with details regarding the mount. Let me know if you have more questions. :cool:
Will post a video with the details of the MOC and features later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vQjwC9ofJE

Last edited by etcknight on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
etcknight

Postby etcknight » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:30 pm

Gooker1 wrote:That's just brilliant work! I would love to see video on all the working functions! Hopefully you can load something on youtube down the road. :)

Uploaded video showing all the mods and added features. Bit nervous on camera, so sorry for all the "cool"s. Doh! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP4fGEUgUYQ

etcknight

Postby Andi » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:51 am

thanks for the video. So you built this bracket with the black technic bricks, screwed these on the mount, and then connect the Falcon with these two red pins?
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby etcknight » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:56 pm

Andi wrote:thanks for the video. So you built this bracket with the black technic bricks, screwed these on the mount, and then connect the Falcon with these two red pins?

Yes, the bracket is built with black technic bricks and some plates for correct spacing and added stability. The MF sits on top of the technic bricks. The MF directly attaches to the rear of the bracket. There are about 4-5 red pins with technic lift arms which give additional support and connection. The weight of the MF is mainly held in place by the steel "L" brackets to which the technic pieces are screwed - but the Lego pieces are needed for added stability. Without the steel "L" pieces, the Lego technic bracket by itself will never hold up the weight of the MF.

Also, keep in mind that I had to make some adjustments due to the modified super-structure and new gunner area I MOC'ed. If you only want to mount the original model, your bracket will be slightly different and you can have more direct Lego connections. You will still need the steel "L" pieces! :shock:

Let me know if you need more pictures or other questions. :D

etcknight

Postby kristofn » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:37 am

Is it possible to get a copy of the direction for this kit. I would then use "Pick a Brick" and buy the parts....

Please.... XD
kristofn

Postby Solo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:23 pm

I'm pretty sure the instructions are on Lego.com now, also you will want to check out this thread where people have done exactly what you have in mind (but with Bricklink instead of PaB of course).
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby bobalego » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:13 pm

So forgive me if someone else already suggested this but as this is one of the greatest ideas (your wall mount artwork of perfection,) I couldn't be bothered to read everyone else posts before suggesting you take it even further. Have you thought about building a back drop in the design of the side of the Star Destroyer that the Falcon hid on before being followed by Fett to the Bespin System? It would look so cool for about 8-10 large (48 stud) baseplates with greebling to be the back drop....nevertheless, this is now addes to my bucket list, or to-do-list. Amazing!!!
bobalego

Postby anders.wiik » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:45 pm

I have just finished building mu own MF after bricklinking it. What a feeling of complishment! XD Now you have inspired me to mount it on the wall. If looked everywhere for a tv wall mount that can tilt 90 degrees upwards, and finally found one in a german webshop (none of the american amazon sellers would ship to Norway those suckers...).

So... I am working on some customizations with led-lights with a friend of mine who is an expert. Other than that I want to mount it on the wall as is. Can you give me some tips as to spacing of the L-brackets and where those L-brackets should be positioned on the chassis of the un-modified version? And other tips on how to make the mount as good as possible :D

Thanks in advance!

Anders
anders.wiik

Postby etcknight » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:14 pm

@bobalego - I am thinking about mounting some other Lego models near-by to give more of a dynamic sense, but never thought about the side of Star Destroyer idea.
etcknight

Postby Rook » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Pretty slick, love the creativity of displaying in a unique way. :)
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Next

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase