Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Star Wars] Small Scale Snowspeeder

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[Star Wars] Small Scale Snowspeeder

Postby Joedward » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:30 am

I first posted this on the old forums back in November '05. It's one of my favourite models to date, although I've been tinkering around with a few other designs, but this seems to remain the best one. And yet, that aside there is still something about it that looks off, and I can't put my finger on it.
I'd appreciate any thought you guys had on how to improve upon this, other wise just general C&CC will be great.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Enjoy, thanks for looking

(older, slightly crappier pictures on Brickshelf)
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Re: [Star Wars] Small Scale Snowspeeder

Postby Jake » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:46 am

Very cool, the shape is good and the rear is full of win. However, the cockpit should be bigger. Move the harpoon piece and the rear 2x2 slope back one stud, giving you a longer cockpit. Oh, and get rid of the jumper plates on the guns too, they overlap the slopes...
Jake

Postby Firespray » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:42 am

Looks good Ed, the cockpit seems a bit off though, maybe go with Jake's suggestion on that.
Firespray

Postby BigBenKenobi » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:23 pm

Looks pretty cool in my opinion. It's a simple design, which is why I like it.
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby countblockula » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:45 pm

I like this!

As far as ideas for changes / improvements:

-maybe replace the 1x1 grey tile (above the left canon, midway) with a grey cheese slope, and do the same on the other side, as well (which would mean you'd have to move that 1x2 printed tile forward or back a bit).
-tile the entire top of the cocpit section. This might make it look to tall, though, so if there's a way to sink the cocpit down into the model by a plate's height, that might do the trick.
-those 2x2 grey wheel hubs used on the rear of the model look a bit large, to me. Maybe go down a hub size or two.
-I agree with others that the cocpit does seem a little too short. If you can find a way to extend it both forward and back, I think that'll help. (I seem to remember the front of the cocpit being closer to the very front edge of the snowspeeder.)

That's all I can think of. :)
countblockula

Postby roguebantha » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:54 pm

That's a fine looking speeder.
I'm not so sure the cockpit is the little niggle, I think it is the section in front of the cockpit that looks a tiny bit too long. If you use 3 long wedges instead of 4 and play around with setting it back it might be the icing on the cake :)
roguebantha

Postby Anio » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:01 pm

It really looks like a mini #10129 ! ^^
Anio

Postby Teekay » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:51 pm

It looks almost exactly like the real thing! The only needed changes have already been mentioned by Mike and Jake. It would be cool if you made a hoth diorama in this scale, although I am not sure if you have the time or the pieces. If not, that's ok, but if you do, that would look really awesome!

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby Jedd the Jedi » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:53 pm

Eh, I like it alot! Impressive work on adapting the official Snowspeeder mini into this little gem. Fantastic work on the colour and shape, and I love the main turrets too. I don't know if it's a little too wide at the front, but it still looks very kewl.
Jedd the Jedi

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase