Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Town/City] Cars with capacity. If I can do it...

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[Town/City] Cars with capacity. If I can do it...

Postby JPCJedi » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:36 pm

gallery when public
...then why can't the LEGO company?
Form shall follow function.

Much inspiration came from Rocko's red car and new sports car.

Stay tuned for threads for individual cars.

I really would like to hear some thoughts on my little design trend. I've done the best I can and worked tirelessly to make the outsides of these cars look at least passable. The Hummer was straightforward, of course. LDD/DesignByMe has been a wonderful tool, but in the end all these models rely on a pretty simple architecture that's close but not perfect.

For instance, the cabin basically has to be 6x8--8 studs long--to accommodate two rows. The big wheels on the black sedan, for instance, need four studs in length to fit under the car--adding another 8 studs to the length, leaving a minimum of 16 using that platform. The minifig scale converter tells me that 16 studs is around 200 minifig inches, closer to the length of a minivan than a sedan. Additionally, those same wheels are each 2 studs wide leaving four studs in between them, meaning there's no chance of fitting two minifigs side-by-side between them in a third row. So as it stands, the Ford Flex is impossible with 20-inch wheels.
Bricklink|Flickr
When the Lord spits in your face, he’s trying to cure you of something.--John 9:1-41
JPCJedi

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase