Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Sky-fi] RF-38 Aurora *UPDATE* V3 now in!

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[Sky-fi] RF-38 Aurora *UPDATE* V3 now in!

Postby Veers » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi all, my first MOC of the site! I can't even begin to list all the creations that inspired this thing. One of them would be the WW2 P-38, and oddly enough, the cockpit came from a helicopter!

I'm really happy with how this turned out, but I'm a little worried about the tail section. It kinda bugs me, but I'd like you guys' opinion.

front

tail greebles

engine detail

engine detail

angled front

tail

overview

cockpit interior

cockpit

And that's it! If you want to see more, you can either pay large sums of money or go to my photostream. Please let me know what you think of her, or how you think she can be improved. Thanks for stopping by!
Last edited by Veers on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bureacracy: You have two cows. The government says what and when you can feed them. You are paid not to, and the government takes your cows, shoots one and milks the other dry. You have to fill out forms accounting for missing cows.
Veers

Re: RF-38 Aurora

Postby Jake » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:47 pm

Very nice design, the underwing intakes are particularly impressive. The SNOTted wings are nice, and the yellow ornamentation is a nice touch. However, I don't like the nose and cockpit side area. Those studs are the only ones on the whole model, and they look lonely. Maybe redesign the front so they can't be seen? The tail area is nice, but maybe make the pylons longer, becasue the whole thing has a certain stubinness too it. All in all, very nice model.
Jake

Re: RF-38 Aurora

Postby Veers » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:56 pm

I started off with pylons that were double this in length, and it was a nightmare trying to get them to stay on. I completely agree that the cockpit area needs to be worked on, and it will be. I just need to decide on a technique...
I said on my Flickr page that the plane was designed for the engine pods, and I wasn't lying.
Bureacracy: You have two cows. The government says what and when you can feed them. You are paid not to, and the government takes your cows, shoots one and milks the other dry. You have to fill out forms accounting for missing cows.
Veers

Re: [Space] RF-38 Aurora

Postby Veers » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Ok, so I barely got the first version up and now there's a V2. This is what happens when I have time off. But hey, it looks way better now doesn't it?

revised interior
There were budget cutbacks, so the controls have been replaced with 'Stop' and 'Go'.

side view-ish thing

front

rear detailing, with kickstand
The engine pods were moved back, so the kickstand was necessary to keep the thing balanced.

central detailing

Well that's all folks. Please let me know what you think of the incredibly quickly delivered V2! Thanks for stopping by, and come again!
Veers

Re: [Space] RF-38 Aurora *UPDATE* V2 already in!

Postby Galagoo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:25 am

Hmm.. I slightly prefer the shape of the old one, but the new one does look really sleek and neat. It's a nice improvement, anyway.

The air intakes look quite superb, I've never seen a design like that before. Overall, the craft is solid and looks very good, perhaps a tad chubby and more cute than tough, but good nevertheless. Neat greebles, too (as always, it seems :p).

As for the tail section, I think the horizontal bar looks a bit too plain. Some greebles - particularly on the sides, close to the neat fins - would be nice, as they would break the plainness and give it some shape. Something as simple as minifig hands might do the trick.
Galagoo

Postby Veers » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:07 am

It appears I'm unable to build anything menacing ;)
I'll most certainly greeble up that rear bar.
Veers

Postby Veers » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:48 pm

Done already...

That was fast, Eh?

new crossbeam greebles

new rear detailing

tail overview

Bonus pic!

So that's what's new. Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, statements of the obvious, or criticisms?
Veers

Re: [Sky-fi] RF-38 Aurora *UPDATE* V3 now in!

Postby Jake » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:53 am

That's good, the front and tail are much better now. However, now that I've seen all the versions, I suggest going back to basics on the crossbeam, the Mk 3 looks too thinck and bulky...
Jake

Postby Galagoo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:38 pm

I would disagree, actually. I think that the bulky crossbeam has some nice shape and fits very well with the chubbish overall look of the craft. The gap between the crossbeams, on the other hand.. It doesn't look too bad, but is there anything that could be done with that?

In addition, I think that the new rear greebles look rather big and stick out a tad too much. Version 2 had more solid and better-looking greebs.
Galagoo

Postby Veers » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:45 pm

I am going to get rid of the new rear greebs. They were on the rough draft and I liked them, but now they don't fit.
As for the tail, I'm going to keep the crossbeam the way it is, because the craft is supposed to be chubby. I will get around to fixing the gap between crossbeams though.
Veers

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase