Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[STARGATE] The Prometheus and Atlantis

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[STARGATE] The Prometheus and Atlantis

Postby hatcher » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:30 pm

Here are a couple of MOC's based on the tv shows Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=146281

For those of you not familiar with the shows, the stargate is an ancient device capable of connecting Earth with other planets via temporary wormholes. The Promethues is the first image in the gallery, and was built in the sixth season of Stargate SG-1 by the US Airforce. Based on alien technology, it was the first Earth built space craft with a hyperdrive. Colonel Jack O'Neil, played by Richard Dean Anderson suggested that it be called the Enterprise, an idea that was nixed almost immediately. The Prometheus was the prototype for Earth's interplanetary fleet, and was destroyed in battle during the 9th season of Stargate SG-1. I spent much time downloading pictures of the Prometheus for reference, and while I wasn't entirely happy with how boxy it looked, I got a lot of compliments on it when I entered in the Model show at the Toronto Trek (now known as Polaris) sci-fi convention a few years back.

The rest of the pictures in the gallery are my rendition of the City of Atlantis, as featured in the tv show Stargate Atlantis. A spin-off of Stargate SG1, the Ancient city of Atlantis was discovered not on Earth, but on a planet millions of light years away in the Pegasus galaxy. Atlantis is actually a giant space ship, floating on the surface of watery planet similar to earth. I had a very hard time getting this to look correct, since the city looks like a giant snowflake, and has very few right angles on it. (Why do alien cultures hate the right angle? Why?)

I still have the Prometheus on my shelf, but I had to disassemble Atlantis, it was almost 3 feet wide, and took up my entire floor. I entered in the model show at Polaris 2 years ago.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Re: [STARGATE] The Prometheus and Atlantis

Postby Jake » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:52 pm

The ship looks good, but very blocky. If there aren't any greebling oppertunities, maybe tile it? I'm not familiar with the source material, but maybe smooth some of the corners and make it less boxy, because the smooth bit at the back contrasts with the rest.

Atlantis looks nice, it's got a good shape to it, but the outlying prongs are a bit sparse, so maybe greeble them more.
Jake

Postby hatcher » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:15 pm

Yeah, the big problem on both models was scale. On the Prometheus, I had to make it smaller than I would have liked. Making it larger would have made it less blocky, but it just didn't work out that way. I also had to sacrifice a lot of the fine details on the sides, etc. Atlantis was even worse. The city is so large, that even at the scale I made it, the model was immense. Again, a lot of the fine detail got sacrificed. It was a fun build though, took me the better part of six months to design, scrounge the parts, and assemble.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby JPCJedi » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:29 pm

I'm impressed, especially with the angling for Atlantis, but yeah there are gripes.

Just out of curiosity, are you the one with the Stargate minifigs and brickbuilt gate, or was that somebody else? I remember seeing a picture on the internet of that guy giving a minifig to Chris Judge.

Anyway, come to think of it, the Prometheus actually lends itself to being made in LEGO. Even in the best Prometheus episodes--"Grace," "Prometheus Unbound," "Full Alert," etc. the ship looks so square and blocky and...tall. The Prometheus always did look like a LEGO, and you've proved it.

And if you haven't figured out yet, I do have every season DVD on my shelf. SG1 only so far.
Bricklink|Flickr
When the Lord spits in your face, he’s trying to cure you of something.--John 9:1-41
JPCJedi

Postby hatcher » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:46 pm

no the guy giving the minifig to chris judge is my good friend and brother-in-law. But i was the one who took the picture! Chris heard he had made a gateroom set and asked for a personal viewing. Chris was extremely impressed with the whole thing, and he is a really nice guy too. My brother-in-law has presented min-figs to Michael Shanks and Rachel Lutrell as well.
hatcher

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase