Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SPACE/CAD] Viper Ldraw Files

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[SPACE/CAD] Viper Ldraw Files

Postby Turkguy19 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:59 am

Many of you may remember the ChiefLUG initiations from a while back. If you don't, it was basically to build a LEGO Viper either using the existing model built by Andrew, or making your own. Well, recently I decided to build one (came after watching the entire BSG series in two weeks). However, because I lack LEGO here at school, I had to take a different route and first build it in MLcad so I could get a list of everything I would need. I also decided that when I confirmed the build with real bricks, ie everything fits together correctly, that I would release the files to the public so they could have an even easier source to build their Viper if they so choose to build one. Anyway, you can find the files below (right click save as to download them)

It has come to my attention that if you have just installed MLcad, the library wont have all the correct parts for the viper. In order to view the entire model you must download and install 7 models, and 10 sub-models. Below is a list of parts you must download in order to open the model properly.

MISSING PARTS

MAIN MODELS
To install these, first download them (click the URL, and a download screen will come up). Once downloaded, you will need to place them into your Ldraw parts folder (usually called Parts in the main Ldraw folder in the C drive). Once you have done that, they are installed.If you have MLcad open at the time, you will need to re-scan your parts (file -> scan parts). All download links are from the Ldraw parts library, so they are safe, and do not contain any virus or malware.

48729.dat
50746.dat
52038.dat
48336.dat
47457.dat
41531.dat
50745.dat

SUB MODELS
In order to use a few of the models, you will also need to install sub models. Click the link to download, just like before, but instead of placing them into the Parts file, these will need to be placed in the Ldraw P file (usually called P in the main Ldraw folder on the C drive). Once there, they will be installed, but, again, if you have MLCad open at the time, you will need to re-scan the parts (File -> Scan Parts). All download links are from the Ldraw parts library, so they are safe, and do not contain any virus or malware.

ring2.dat
54200.dat
1-12chrd.dat
1-12cyli.dat
1-12degde.dat
4-4con24.dat
4-4rin15.dat
ring3.dat
ring4.dat
1-4cyli.dat

MODELS

PARTS LIST
Main Parts List
(roughly 614 parts, not including minifig.)

FULL CONSTRUCTION
Multi-Part Construction File

MAIN BODY
Cockpit
Nose

WINGS
Left Wing
Right Wing

ENGINES
Top Engine
Right Engine
Left Engine
Engine Bracket
Side Engine Assembly

Again, to download these files just right click, save as. Then you can load them into MLcad or another LDraw software (no guarantees it will work) and use the files as you wish.

Also, there are a few parts missing due to the lack of an LDraw file for them. The parts are the Monkey Wrenches that have a small technic bushing and a modified tile with clip on it. these parts go in the space on the nose, attaching to the empty clip.

One last thing: If you find any major mistakes, please let me know because I would like to fix them in my files. There are a few pieces that do merge a bit, but this is due to lack of precise angles in MLCad, not because they don't actually fit on the real model.
Last edited by Turkguy19 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:30 am, edited 5 times in total.
Turkguy19

Re: [SPACE/CAD] Viper Ldraw Files

Postby Kyle » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:18 am

Turkguy19 wrote:Again, to download these files just right lick, save as.

Giggity!
Kyle

Postby Turkguy19 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:58 am

You always have to find the one odd typo I make dont you lol
Turkguy19

Postby Bertramtalespinner » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:37 pm

I was going to write the chief and ask if such a thing existed, now you've done it for us, awesome. Now how about that sweet sweet raptor...
Bertramtalespinner

Postby Turkguy19 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:38 pm

Some main pieces of the Raptor don't have LDraw files. I was going to attempt it, but the lack of the major pieces kinda stopped me.
Turkguy19

Postby Iare Tosevite » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:41 pm

Sweet. :D
I want to build one soon.
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby Jake » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:44 pm

Turkguy19 wrote:Some main pieces of the Raptor don't have LDraw files. I was going to attempt it, but the lack of the major pieces kinda stopped me.

I'm fairly sure that there's a chap on Flickr who renders new pieces and uploads them to LDraw, I just wish I could remember his name... Maybe go have a look in the LDraw group...
Jake

Postby Turkguy19 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:49 pm

I go to the official parts library, and if it isn't there....it's more then likely not anywhere. I also do google searches for the dat files if they aren't in the library. In this case, I found them nowhere.
Turkguy19

Postby uubergeek » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:57 pm

thanks a ton turk! i've seen these all over the place lately all very similar to each other, and was wondering how to do some of it... thanks for taking the time for the ldraw!!!
Chris C. :::: My Flickr :::: My Site
uubergeek

Postby uubergeek » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:06 pm

Turkguy19 wrote:Some main pieces of the Raptor don't have LDraw files. I was going to attempt it, but the lack of the major pieces kinda stopped me.

well... maybe just some good broken down pictures? :)
Chris C. :::: My Flickr :::: My Site
uubergeek

Postby Chief » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:19 pm

Very thorough and fancy work, Turk. I'll be posting this up around shortly to some places where people asked for them. You will be fully credited of course.

Might I ask for a parts list? Because the raving fanboys will surely want one. I think MLCAD makes one automatically, but I don't have MLCAD :P Also, since I can't view them right now at work, are there step by step instructions, or simply the complete subassemblies?
Chief

Postby Turkguy19 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:21 pm

Right now it's just a complete assembly. Was gonna attempt complete instructions sometime in the near future when I got the time.

And I will get a parts list up ASAP.
Turkguy19

Postby Firespray » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:55 pm

I'll have to check this out later to try and correct the back part of mine.
Firespray

Postby Joedward » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:03 am

James, thanks so much for doing this, I may finally egt off my arese and build one.
And although I'd still liek to see how a Voltron styled Viper would turn out, kudos for finishing it.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Turkguy19 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:26 am

It has come to my attention that if you have just installed MLcad, the library wont have all the correct parts for the viper. In order to view the entire model you must download and install 7 models, and 10 sub-models. These parts can be found in my main post at the top. In that post are direct links to the downloads, and instructions on how to install them. If you have any questions feel free to post here, PM me, or ask me in chat (I'm usually there under TG19).
Turkguy19

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase