Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

10240 Red Five X-wing Engine Mod...

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

10240 Red Five X-wing Engine Mod...

Postby lowlead » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:15 pm

So, I'll be brief...

In my opinion, LEGO nearly had a masterpiece in the second version of the "UCS" X-wing. But I just couldn't look at the anemic, emaciated engines without wincing - how could they carry over this shortcoming onto another big X-wing?? AHHHHHH! (Yes, it bugged me that much)

I'll admit that my engine fix illustrated below may not be the best way, but I like it because now I can look at this model with satisfaction that the proportions are very much closer to the ILM model.

Like it? Hate it? Lemme know, love the feedback - thanks!

Images are links:

lowlead

Re: 10240 Red Five X-wing Engine Mod...

Postby davidkfraser » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi! I just registered in order to say: That is absolutely awesome. I knew that the engines on that model were the wrong size, but seeing it with proper-sized engines makes a huge difference.

I already have a very nice Psiaki X-Wing, but if I ever get the shelf-space and the money to buy one of these beasts, at least I'll know how to fix the engines! :D.

I wonder if this piece would work better for the tops of the engines, intead of the cheese slopes and tiles?

I also wonder if it would be possible to change the position of the back half of the engines - the long, thin "exhausts"? They should start in the centre, at the top of the engines - as on the 9493 X-wing. Yours look to me as if they are positioned too low and off-centre.

These are just details, however: the basic concept is sound, and it looks great. Well done!
davidkfraser

Postby Brickwright » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:08 am

Definitely one of the biggest oversights on the model, along with the nose (which you also remedied nicely). Both of those things made it sort of made it hard to look at, so it's great that you solved it. It also allows for more space to create the "cross-beams" in the front. I think the main part of the engine could be a bit shorter though, but with longer "back" ends to compensate. Still, the diameter was a serious problem and you fixed it in a way that fits in with the style of the model. The cheese slopes in particular are cleverly used to match the wheel's curvature.
Brickwright

Postby Eddmont » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:27 pm

Very nice job. Those engines fit the scale better and certainly makes it complete. Sent you a pm.
Eddmont

Postby lowlead » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys, much appreciated!

davidk: Yes, I agree, those 1 x 4 slopes would be the best solution. I just might do a Bricklink order to acquire some for that application. After taking another peek at the ILM model to reference the engine exhaust placement, you are absolutely correct - something made me attach them off center. An easy fix.

Brickwright: Ya, I sacrificed some accuracy here. As much as I was bothered by the original engine design, I wasn't looking to embark on an epic modification either. Sloppy? Perhaps to some, but finding time to MOC lately is a challenge itself. I will likely address this issue in the future, but in the meantime I was satisfied using the grey wheels and the white Octan tanker part for the main engine sections.

Eddmont: Got your PM, stby :)
lowlead

Postby lowlead » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:59 am

Just a couple more tweaks to the 10240 X-wing...

Found a better way to make the T-shape at the engine intakes, used the 1x4 curved pieces suggested by davidkfraser for the tops of the engine nacelles, moved the exhaust sections to the center and higher up (also suggested by dkf)

Images are links:

lowlead

Postby davidkfraser » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:45 pm

Needless to say, I like it. XD.

The curve on those pieces isn't as pronounced as I was hoping for, but you can't have everything. I personally think it still looks better than cheese slopes and tiles.

Your solution for the T-pieces looks good as well.
davidkfraser

Re: 10240 Red Five X-wing Engine Mod *Detailed Photos*

Postby lowlead » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:48 am

davidkfraser wrote:The curve on those pieces isn't as pronounced as I was hoping for...

I agree, at first glance I thought they would contour nicely with the wheels, but not quite. Then adding height by one plate thickness messes up the curvature on the side - an imperfect solution.

Overall, I still like how the Octan tanker part solves multiple issues with its general shape and combination of technic and standard connection points. Finally, this avenue minimizes the amount of modification one must undergo, leaving the original relatively unchanged.

Here are some detailed photos of the engine mod, very simple...

The last photo in the group illustrates how the entire wing section needs to be mounted outboard by one additional technic hole to make room for the larger engine diameter. Skipping this step will make it impossible to "Lock s-foils in attack position."
lowlead

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase