Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Ship Feedback

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

Ship Feedback

Postby dmetcalf » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:06 pm

Well, I just lost in the first round of MOC Madness. Congratulations, bartosza6m.

Of course I'm really bummed. While I am critical of several aspects of many ships in this competition, including my opponent's, I'll withhold comment in hopes of avoiding "sour grapes". Naturally, I am biased toward my own ship.

So I'm looking for some critical feedback from the community: what you may have liked would be nice to hear, but I'm more interested in what you *didn't* like. Was the ship just bad? Did it look not enough, or not at all, like a "Y"?
I am curious why I not only lost, but had the lowest vote total in the whole tournament.
(Don't worry, I'm not looking for who voted for who; odds are you voted against me. :)

Here's the link to my Flickr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweetfenne ... 331672466/

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you, and good luck to the 32 that are advancing.
dmetcalf

Re: Ship Feedback

Postby crazybirdman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:01 am

I liked it. Maybe people thought you were copying the flip down tail gimmick that the clone starfighters had? Though it is hard to completely unique starfighter
crazybirdman

Postby CloneEmperor » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:09 am

I have to say dmetcalf, I liked your ship, you just had the bad luck to be paired against one of the ships that many people really liked. I don't know if I'm qualified to give feedback as I'm one of the 32 who didn't advance as well, but here goes.

What I liked:
Excellent use of Technic parts to get moving sections, loved the design of the cockpit window to get something we don't always see.

What I didn't like:
it seems really "busy" from the side and angle view, to me this draws the eye away from the overall design and it's easy to get lost in the little things.

What I would have liked to see:
The only shot of your ship in flight mode is from the front and that means the wide body front blocks most of the rest of the ship. An angle shot from slightly above while in flight mode may have highlighted some of the nice points of your ship that weren't otherwise visible. I realize that it is challenging to get a shot like that when you have a shape like that, but I think it may have helped.

In the end though, don't get discouraged at your lower than expected results. This is my fourth(?) contest and this is the highest number of votes I've ever gotten. I decided long ago that I'm not entering a contest for the prize because I don't have the time to devote to building that some of these other builders do. I find it kinda funny that the ones who win these contests usually already have the set that makes up the prize, and some even have them in multiples. I've even learned some techniques that I'm going to implement in my next MOC which should be done by the end of the week (the first non-contest MOC I've made in years that wasn't just me playing with my kids).

Good luck in your future builds and don't give up. Have fun!
CloneEmperor

Postby dmetcalf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:11 am

crazybirdman: There's a similar design in SWU? Great.
dmetcalf

Postby crazybirdman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:03 am

yeah, the V-19

crazybirdman

Postby dmetcalf » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:01 pm

Lovely. And I thought I came up with a great new idea!
dmetcalf

Postby majortom » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:16 am

This is by no means a bad build, you were just unlucky to be paired with someone who produced what, evidently, people perceived to be a 'better' build.

I generally found voting for the first round pretty difficult. I guess I made my choices on originality/novelty (how the letter shape was achieved), quality of the build (technique etc.), and general aesthetic. In this case, both entries demonstrated a novel method of producing a 'Y' shape, you used moving parts and your opponent made a lower case 'y', which is perhaps not something that would be immediately obvious to other builders. You used a lot of technic parts in your build (something I commend, since I suck at technic!) whereas your opponent used a lot of SNOT technique. As Clone Emperor pointed out, your design is comparatively 'busy', I would have considered cleaning up the wings with some tile and wedges to smooth out the studs, and perhaps hide some of the holes with system pieces. I know that in my case it wasn't just a snap decision when it came to voting, and voting on the 32 pairings was quite a time consuming process!

And again, as Clone Emperor pointed out, don't get disheartened, I've only entered a few contests myself, and always finished far from place-position, despite submitting what seemed to me at the time, an entry that deserved far more credit (what you expect when you put a lot of time and effort into something!) though now I can appreciate that they were definitely sub-standard. Its cliche, and not something I always agree with, but 'it's the taking part that counts'!

Hope that helps!
majortom

Postby banthafodder » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:14 am

Like others have said, there was nothing wrong with your fighter. You never know what people are looking for in a particular contest. When I enter contests now I just try to build upon what I've learned from the last contest in both building techniques and photography. If you look at it as competing against yourself to make you better then you will find yourself much happier.
banthafodder

Postby Rook » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:51 am

A lot of builders use a tiles or the sides of bricks on wings to give them a smoother more realistic look. I'd start there. I liked the greebles you did on the side of yours. I voted for the other "y" simply because it was so odd in it's design.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby rodiziorobs » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:41 pm

As others have said, the reason you didn't advance is likely due to your opponent, and not anything wrong with your build itself. I thought yours was as good a ship as the other, but given the theme of the contest, I tended to vote for entries that embodied the letter rather than simply referencing it, which the other ship did better.

I really liked your usage of parts-the Games crowbar for example was a great surprise! I also really liked the colors you used, but I think it might have been better if they had flowed more across the craft, like a red streak that wound its way from end to end rather than having red here and there; viewers' eyes will follow a bold line of color. Just my two bits on that.

Keep building, and keep on doing contests! I have learned more from entering and losing contests than from anything else I have participated in. You get to see what the other guy did different than you and what you could do better, and it is really satisfying to finish something and realize that because of what you have learned, you couldn't have done that a month ago.

Best of luck!
rodiziorobs

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase