Ah, it's been so long since I posted something I made in the MOC forum it's kind of surprising I didn't have to whip out some WD-40 to get this thing to work. This build actually went backwards from my usual process for starfighters, which is to build the cockpit/fuselage and then build out from there. Instead, the very first idea I got was to build the engines, and the cockpit was what I spent the least amount of time on.
Really, this was the general shape I wanted to build, and I was playing with a technique for trying to change the direction of the blocks and get some unconventional shapes going for it. The blue trans bricks were just put in there to create a little bit of color distinction, since the ship was very white and grey when I first built it. Same with the little intake grills, which are just on a hinge to angle them in. Originally, I had a whole structure inside there, but it really didn't work and line up, so I scrapped it and put that int its place. Sometimes, simple is better.
Honestly, the biggest challenge is that I am typically a very bottom-to-top, doesn't understand SNOT, it has to be swooshable kind of builder. This ship is absolutely not swooshable. I actually had to rebuild the engines while taking pictures, because one fell off and shattered when I was trying to re-position the thing. The only thing holding the engines to the main cockpit is a pair of 1x2 swing hinges. And given that the engines are as heavy as the cockpit... that leads to a lot of stress on the side.
One of the funny things about this build is that the "W" shape actually ended up far more prominent than I thought it would because I made some compromises in my mounting. Initially, I wanted some technic-swivel mechanisms that would put the engines inline with the cockpit. Of course, that made the whole thing look like an M more than a W (and confused Solo when I took a picture upside down).
The reason that picture is taken on my carpet is because it simply snapped off the engine when I tried to pick it up. Also, this thing had a much bigger nose that I ended up pulling off initially because it didn't look like a W when the middle part was longer. It was just sort of lucky that the decision to shorten it made mounting the engines look better.
Ultimately, it was this picture that built the final shape. There were some changes to it, like removing the guns on the engines and putting them on the cockpit, as well as putting in a bit more detail on the outside (after removing the guns). While I never figured out quite how to get them to look slanted like in this picture (which is a shame, because that would have been great), it was the general arrangement that ended up working out best.
While I never get a chance to build or MOC as much as I'd like, when I do, it's always fun to dwell on that one detail you're especially proud of in a build. Could just be me, but the whole reason I like to build custom stuff isn't always to make something, but to enjoy figuring out ways to create different methods or features. Lego to me isn't about the end product, even though that's often what we look at (and even what I review all the time)... it's more about how you get there. Probably why I get so hard on some sets that might look nice but are an absolute chore to build (looking at you over there, Super Star Destroyer).
For this one, it was actually just some random building, standing in my part's closet and trying to keep a 15-month old out of all the little bins (she particularly likes the big drawer of castle flags). For the record, I failed rather spectacularly at keeping her out of anything, and I'm still trying to find where she hid some of the parts. Mostly though, I was trying to get the actual engine outlets to look right.
Originally, I had 3 big cylinder engines in there (like the X-Wing or A-Wing engines), all in black, but I couldn't get it to center correctly. So eventually, I just tore off the entire section past the front section and started to fiddle. Eventually, that took me to the tried-and-true "cram a lightsaber bar in there" method, and then a few technic pins later, I had the cylinder and wheel hubs. Initially, the two white hubs actually touched, but that led to problems getting the dish and stuff in the back (they were initially light-trans-blue). So, when looking for something to space it, I just used the 3-notch black technic pins, and left the space in place. I think it gives it a nice little look that's basic, and was fun to do.
I also never got a chance to feature the back of the ship in any of the pictures, which actually was fairly simple. The engines on the back of the cockpit section were there before I decided to angle out the engines, which was actually kind of lucky. They're the thing that could keep the ship actually going straight, and make it a lot less absurd.
In the end, this was a fun little build to do, but kind of strange, since I have no plans to keep it together for any length of time. Part of that is driven by the fact that I stole parts from other sets (X-Wing, Imperial Shuttle, Shuttle Adventure to name a few), and also because the fun was still in building it, not in displaying it.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.