Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SW][MOC] Rogue One U-wing

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[SW][MOC] Rogue One U-wing

Postby viking44 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:41 am

Hello all and Happy New Year! Just wanted to share some quick and easy modifications to LEGO's Rebel U-Wing set# 75155. I've addressed a few things and I'll provide descriptions with each pic.

First up is the length of the wings. They don't seem to scale (in fact the whole ship to me seems slightly out of scale but I'll get to that in a bit), so I've decided to lengthen them a bit. Exactly 4 studs longer, I could've gone longer but I think the structure would suffer. Pretty easy mod actually. Any assortment of plates 4 studs long and 4 studs wide will do. I happen to use the 3x4 plate with 4 studs from between the engines (more on that later), and get creative. I also mixed whites and light grays cause, hey, if Lego can do it, why not?

Next on the list is the front of the cockpit with the angled panels. The movie version has them angled while the lego version is flat. Again, plates are your friend. I replaced the front most 4x10 plate with the same color 4x6 plate and used a 1x2 rocker to which I attached the angled pieces. Not perfectly accurate, but simple and effective.

I also found the vertical spacing of the engines too far apart. Simple fix initially, just move the lower engines up one hole on the Technic beam. I'm thinking of shortening this beam from a 7M to a 6M but it's pretty hidden so it can wait. Basically, I've tried to limit my modifications to what I had on hand. Having a spare Falcon and a black-converted Kylo Ren shuttle leaves me with lots of medium grey and dark grey plates. Anyway, easy enough mod for the engines, but the thickness of the wings causes interference when they're swept back.

So to make the wings thinner to fit between the engines. This was actually a very simple mod using existing parts from the wings. Basically I rearranged the 3x12 angled plates and the 2x12 plates so that the space that sweps between the engines is down to about 1-2 plates thick, and the overall wing is still 3 plates thick for structure. Pretty easy fix, and pretty much invisible unless you have two U-wings side by side.

Thats it for now. I'm still looking for a way to modify the belly/cargo area of the ship. It's already as short as it can be having to fit a standing minifig, but seems oversize compared to the rest of the ship. Basically the whole ship is slightly off scale. The real U-wing's belly doesn't hang much lower than the engines. And the cockpit is too narrow and should fit 2 minifigs side by side. Well, at least one minifig and K-2S0.

Which brings me to another mini-rant: TLG's minifig selection in their sets. I don't know if it's a ploy to get us to buy more sets, although I'm sure that's part of it. But including minifigs in ships that they were never in the same scene together! K-2S0 in Krennic's Shuttle set, for example. Maybe the designers had limited source material to work of off so they threw him in there, and the Imperial logo may have added to the confusion, but this irks me. K-2 belongs in this set!

Anyway, mini-rant over. That's my modified U-Wing. It's a very nice looking set out of the box. I was very impressed by the wingspan and the design, but like most of us, I couldn't help but tinker with it. Suggestions and questions are always welcome. I can take more pics if anyone is interested. Enjoy!
viking44

Re: [SW][MOC] Rogue One U-wing

Postby dWhisper » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:54 am

Are you setting this one up as Cassian's U-Wing, or going more for the Blue Squadron U-Wing? I haven't picked this one up yet, but thinking when I do and decide to MOC it up a bit, I'm going more for the Blue Squadron look to get the gun emplacement on the side. Curious if you set up anything like that here.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Re: [SW][MOC] Rogue One U-wing

Postby viking44 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:15 pm

It comes with Cassian, a Rebel pilot, and Bistan so I suppose you could do either one. Not sure what the differences are betwen U-wings other than the crews. But for me it's gotta be Cassian with K-2 and Jyn earlier in the movie. Out of the box it has stud shooters out of the cargo area, not sure if this represents the gun emplacements in the movie. I'll have to watch it again; there's a lot going on to absorb everything, even after watching it twice!
viking44

Return to LEGO MOC and Minifigure Showcase