Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The Nova Wing 2

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

The Nova Wing 2

Postby suboken » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:26 pm

01_Nova_Wing by The Suboken LEGO Projects, on Flickr

This is the weirdest/hardest build I’ve tried to figure out how to make work. Connecting the two wings at this angle and in a sturdy fashion took several full design attempts. And the MOC still protests when I move it around the house.

The solution I finally committed to came from an unexpected inspiration.

00_Nova_Wing by The Suboken LEGO Projects, on Flickr

I teach part-time as a LEGO MindStorms NXT instructor for after school programs hosted by SMaRT Education. And during a free build session in one of my classes, I started designing a Technic robot chassis from my instruction kit. Initially I was trying to solve some missions in The Green City Challenge, an official LEGO instruction module we use in our class. However, I realized the wheel base I was developing could work to help secure the wings at the angle I was hoping to use for The Nova Wing.

As soon as I got home, I was quick to tinker with the design. A month later, the MOC was finished. All it needed was some pilot minifigs.

03_Nova_Wing by The Suboken LEGO Projects, on Flickr

Enter Captain Vai Scryp and Mal-Strom. I’ve had these guys sitting on my desk for a while. Once The Nova Wing was completed, they seemed a natural fit to own the starfighter/gunship.

Every now and again I catch myself daydreaming about Bounty Hunter adventures these two would likely go on. When Calista and I put the heavy repairs on our MOCpages page last month, she noticed the rather prolific number of minifig comics other members were posting. Team Nova Wing may end up in their own minifig comic strip later this summer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26529529@N ... 227527996/

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/362848

suboken

Re: The Nova Wing 2

Postby banthafodder » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:35 pm

You have some serious building skills. Great use of the wing piece.
banthafodder

Postby Rook » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:40 am

Fantastic use of the molded wings, equalled by the photoshopping techniques.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Ris Liam » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:03 am

A unique ship and look; is that canopy from Bionicle or something? I wish I could take pictures like that. I'm still struggling on how to take basic pictures. Nice work!
Ris Liam

Postby suboken » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:15 am

Thank you for the great comments. The cockpit canopy comes from LEGO Bionicle set 8971, Toa Terrain Crawler. I noticed the piece while collecting Bionicle minifigs. At first I thought it was kind of goofy looking. When I checked the PDF build instructions I found out how it attached to the "Windscreen 12 x 6 x 6 Curved" piece (the one used for SW: Slave 1), and quickly changed my mind.
suboken

Postby dWhisper » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:55 am

Always like seeing unique usage of parts that otherwise end up in the big bin of "things I'll never use." It's a lovely build with a good shape. Only thing I'd like to see more of is a bit of detail in the seam between the wings, behind the cockpit.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Solo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:00 am

Really cool looking ship, even though I don't like the Bionicle canopy much. Fantastic presentation too. Feels like you're making a movie with this and these are the promo shots. Is this all physical model + photoshop or did you make a digital version too? I honestly can't tell, most of the pics look like really well done renders save for a few details that hint otherwise.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby suboken » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:02 pm

dWhisper wrote:Always like seeing unique usage of parts that otherwise end up in the big bin of "things I'll never use." It's a lovely build with a good shape. Only thing I'd like to see more of is a bit of detail in the seam between the wings, behind the cockpit.

Thank you. I ran out of the 2x2 dark grey round bricks that were going to fill that space in the seam. However, while temporarily filling the space in yellow 2x2s, I discovered that the bricks wouldn't get much further pass the technic connectors holding the wings in place. Eventually, I plan to replace most of the out of view structural pieces with black pieces. That way they hint at the underlying structure rather than highlight it.
suboken

Postby suboken » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:21 pm

Solo wrote:Really cool looking ship, even though I don't like the Bionicle canopy much. Fantastic presentation too. Feels like you're making a movie with this and these are the promo shots. Is this all physical model + photoshop or did you make a digital version too? I honestly can't tell, most of the pics look like really well done renders save for a few details that hint otherwise.

I'm excited you like the build. The MOC in every shot is the physical model. I lean pretty heavy on Photoshop to color match the image to the backgrounds and vice versa. Creating the masking layer (or cut out of the model) takes the most time. As tedious as it is to do, it's one of my favorite parts in creating MOCs; the photo editing.
suboken

Postby Solo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:38 pm

It's totally worth the extra effort.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby scotth510 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:43 am

I agree with everything everyone has said. Absolutely great work all around.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotth510/
http://www.youtube.com/user/scotth510
scotth510

Postby naugem » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:06 am

Great looking ship, quite unique in its design.
naugem

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase