Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

8099 Midi-Scale Imperial Star Destroyer

View comments and rate sets in this forum.

Rating

10%
20%
60%
10%

Total votes : 10

8099 Midi-Scale Imperial Star Destroyer

Postby Staff » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:17 am

Rate this set using the poll options above.

You may add a mini review and comments by following the format below:

Pros: It's awesome!

Cons: It sucks!

Comments: Comments go here.

Please be brief and concise. Any posts not following this format will be deleted. If you're interested in submitting a full review, please visit our reviews forum.

Set Guide Entry: 8099 Midi-Scale Imperial Star Destroyer
Staff

Re: 8099 Midi-Scale Imperial Star Destroyer

Postby MrCRskater » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Pros: Fairly detailed for the scale, price is right ($40 = 400+ pieces)

Cons: A few goofy things disrupt the look of the model

Comments: A fair number of nice details, including both primary and secondary hangar bays, turbolaser batteries, and gravity well projector. However, a few features detract greatly from the look of the ship, such as the large seam down the middle of the ship, inconsistent construction of the large hangar bay, and anemic shield generators. The 7778 Midi-scale Falcon is a stronger model in this scale, but the ISD is nothing to scoff at. Overall, a generally good model.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Morgan19 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:50 am

Pros: Captures the ISD's shape quite well and, if you're only looking for pieces, is a good source of light and dark bleys. It also swooshes nicely.

Cons: Without being on clearance, the original price "feels" way too high for the model, without actually considering piece count. An MSRP of $30 seems like it would've fit better. Others have bemoaned the seams running down the ship but they don't really bother me.

Comments: Along with the midi-Falcon, this is another model that will likely always be built and displayed on my desk. It's the perfect size for display, is easily moved if need be, and just looks really nice. I hope they continue with more ships of this scale.
Morgan19

Postby buriedbybricks » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:29 am

Pros: Nice parts pack, a fun look overall and a few great building techniques to get kids thinking!

Cons: Pricing, could be a little sturdier since it's sized to be so adorably swooshable.

Comments: At $50 CAD these sat on the shelves until last week when I managed to pick up 3 at $15 each. Two for me and one for my boy when he's older. At $50 the parts ratio is better than any other Star Wars model, but it's just not enough ship for that price. The build while a tad flimsy for my taste (I might not have thought that way before being a Dad) has some simple, yet interesting SNOT techniques that will help kids think in new directions. I would be willing to pay $25 for this model, but to my delight it skipped straight from $30 to $15 which meant I had to search to find the 3 I got.
Tip to LEGO for future MIDI Scalers: Stands.
buriedbybricks

Postby Drock » Tue May 17, 2011 2:32 am

Pros: Good parts pack, especially if you're into light gray plates and wedges plates. It looks good on display and captures the look and essence of the Star Destroyer.

Cons: Some colors look out of place. On the top, there are a few dark gray plates and tiles, which look kind of odd and random. Also, when seen from the side, there are some glaring white plates that look unrealistic.

Comments: Once again, LEGO has given us a midi scaled ship of an iconic vehicle that looks good on display. Though not meant for play, this set will not disappoint. Some advice is to replace the oddly and out-of-place colored pieces with light gray ones.
Drock

Postby CloneEmperor » Thu May 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Pros: Captures the shape of the Star Destroyer perfectly. Nice display model, and very swooshable.

Cons: Some weak points and gaps, the engine panel comes off far too easily for a set that's intended for play.

Comments: I got this one a deep clearance and so feel that it was money very well spent.
CloneEmperor

Return to Star Wars Set Guide: Ratings and Comments